Thursday, January 22, 2015

How To Identify The Narcissist In Your Life



Identifying the narcissist in my life has been a life long journey. I have spent 20 years living with one and then another 20 years trying to figure out if I'm the one who's crazy and delusional. I know many HSP can relate to this situation!

I was manipulated by guilt and my self worth was shot. I didn't have the self confidence to believe that everything I saw, heard and witnessed was horribly wrong. I was bullied into a lifelong silence.

The NPD Narcissistic Personality Disorder is very complex and can be difficult to identify.
There are many shades to NPD. Someone with this personality disorder can also be Borderline (BPD), or have histrionic tendencies.

Highly Sensitive People and empaths are easy targets for narcissists because of our natural tendencies to be forgiving, highly empathetic, and extremely caring human beings.

Narcissists often use our empathy against us. We can spend many years in a state of confusion, humiliation, and low self worth.

We often remain in these relationships simply because we don't realize they are not 'normal'.

Its particularly imporant for HSP to identify the narcissist in their life, so they can prevent suffering for years. Wondering whats wrong with their lives, when their source of toxicity is busy denying, diverting, and minimizing the abuse that we endure.

Once you can identify it, hopefully your self esteem will be good enough for you to make a healthy choice for yourself. These traits can vary in intensity and frequency, of course.

Here is a long list of traits:

-Over inflated sense of self, massive ego, create the illusion that they are superior
-Self centered and self absorbed, vain, attention seeking
-Always preoccupied with the impression they are making
-All interactions with others are shallow, incapable of a deep connection
-Overly confident, no shame, arrogant and impulsive
-Plays games, feels is superior and one step ahead of everyone
-Are very charming and charismatic
-Chronically deceptive, are expert liars and will tell you anything to have their way
-Name drop, seek to impress constantly
-Appear to be extremely generous in public, but go stone cold behind closed doors (Jekyll n Hyde)
-Brag about how special they are, how perfect their family, their child, their job, their...
-Totally believe they are exceptionally smart and extremely sexy
-View their victims as stupid, put down others they consider weak and inferior ie. racist, uneducated, not 'cultured'
-Have total disregard for anyone's needs but their own and are inconsiderate of your time and energy
-Constant need for admiration, adulation and applause
-Refuse to seek help because they know it all, are smarter than anyone else
-Are often physically and emotional abusive
-Talk incessantly about themselves, don't stop to ask a question of others
-Lack empathy and view empathy as a weakness that only others have and consider others as beneath them
-Aren't able to be introspective, lack an inner life
-Deny responsibility, prefer to blame, play the victim if questioned
-Are unable to trust the world and others around them, are very skeptical, fearful
-Pretend to care ie. pseudo empathy
-Have endless convoluted conversations, try to confuse you until you feel you're crazy
-Talk incessantly about themselves, their achievements, their viewpoints, their successes, their beliefs
-Seek out only people who maintain  and enhance their image
-Quickly dispose of people they no longer have use for and treat people like possessions that belong to them
-Have total disregard for authority
-Prone to severe mood swings, anxiety, depression, paranoia
-Are very abrupt at changing from being decent to emotionally abusive, very inconsistent, explosive
-Will do anything to protect their image and reputation
-Make outrageous demands, will manipulate, blackmail and threaten
-Can never be satisfied
-Believe they are smarter, better, more intelligent, more beautiful than anyone else
-Have total disrespect and unawareness of other peoples boundaries
-Good at maintaining superficial associations with people, small talk
-Create the illusion that they are listening, that they care or are a "good person"
-Blind to their own deceptions and cruelty
-Prefer to be surrounded by others who 'worship' and believe them
-Choose partners that are emotionally, physically and financially dependent on them so they can then totally control them.
-Any independent thinking is forbidden if you are in a relationship with them
-Enjoy drama and will fabricate and exaggerate events to invoke an emotional response
-Expect special treatment and recognition, the world owes them

 
Greater awareness and learning to be observant of these displays of behavior gives us freedom and the ability to be less emotionally reactive.

Relationships with narcissists provoke constant anxiety and are extremely depleting, in many ways.

They erode our self confidence and in their course of devaluation, they stoop to low tactics such as shaming, lying, ostracism and innuendo.

The best thing to do is to distance yourself. If you must have contact make sure its only brief. And keep conversation to a bare minimum. Provide no details of your life because any information will be used against you (at a later date!)

Iv written about this subject not because I want to give it too much emphasis. Its already taken too many years of my life. I now choose to completely focus on my needs, what makes me happy, and that I am deserving of good in my life.



I wrote this to help shed light on this toxic relationship dynamic that HSP often find themselves enmeshed in. 

HSP can spend a lifetime trying to please them, help them, or change them. Only to realize that their whole relationship was based on lies.

All you can do is distance yourself, preserve the little self worth they allowed you to have, and start rebuilding your self esteem.

Start practicing the unfamiliar belief that your decisions, feelings, goals, and opinions are of value. You don't need their approval, which they will always withhold to control you.

Begin to surround yourself with people who recognize you, your needs, your ability to deeply empathize, and value you.

Watch Top 20 Ways How HSP Can Recognize Narcissists HERE



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article! The more there is about this topic online, the more chances are that people in dysfunctional relationships will find them!
    These are all instructions to recognize a long-term dysfunctional relationship, but so far, I haven't been able to find a list of a few signs that will help you recognize a Narcissist in the first month. Which might be crucial because if you break up with them very soon there's still chance they won't consider you their property and won't bother you afterwards.
    I'm trying to make such a list:
    - the person makes the relationship all about you
    - doesn't always keep his/her small day-to-day promises 100%, or tries to persuade you to do more than you promised. When you point that out in a friendly way, they don't say "oh yeah, OK" or "forgot about that", but try to wriggle out of it.
    - tiny little hints that they perceive time and food in an unusual way. For example, saying with certainty "you told me about that yesterday" when you think it was 3 weeks ago, "you haven't written to me for such a long time" when it was only 1-2 days, sleeping only 4 hours a night, talking about looking forward to ordering their favourite meal but then ordering a different one, or inviting you to a restaurant for a fancy dinner and eating only soup themselves.
    - very soon after you start socializing with the person (like 3 weeks), you discover some negative traits in yourself you had no idea you had ("I get angry easily", "I get tired easily", "I eat too much", "I like to brag...")
    - tiny little hints of being unable to be truly cheerful or enjoy something (with the exception of sex). Have you ever seen them laugh with a natural, sincere, relaxed laugh at a joke or situation that isn't sarcastic or doesn't demean anyone? If you didn't answer "yep, of course", be careful. They might be saying they like a certain comedian a lot, but when you quote one of his jokes they just giggle and you have a vague feeling that they're enjoying something else about the humour than you do.
    Most of these need to be present. If the person makes the relationship all about you, has a bit weird perception of time and tends to forget his/her promises, but also has a sincere, natural sense of humour, that probably means they are not a Narcissist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make some very good points Marta.
      Once we empower ourselves with knowledge of how they typically behave we are more likely to identify them faster, even in the beginning of a new relationship.

      Some of the points you mention are attempts at creating 'cognitive dissonance' or 'crazy making'.
      Where we start to question reality because things don't seem to add up like we remember them to. This is definitely a red flag. Any repeated, seemingly innocent, attempts to make you confused about details is all part of narc 'crazy making'.

      And yes, another red flag would be if the relationship is one sided. Their way or the highway. Your preferences are minimized, made fun of, ignored, or labeled as 'wrong'.

      Its a fascinating personality disorder and yes, the more we learn and teach.. the more lives we save, literally!
      Thanks for your comment and for crossing my path.
      Please feel free to connect with me via YouTube where you might find some more videos that could be helpful in relation to narc abuse.

      with love,
      Joanna :)

      Delete
  2. Please help me to understand how I as an HSP can survive the pain of one of my sons being a narcissist as a result of his father being a narcissist ..... he was a perfect loving baby and we ruined him:,( now that I know and am divorced, my heart is crushed to not have empathy for him. It’s not his fault that I didn’t know and pick a better father for him. I’m crushed. This needs to be a subject. I’m not alone:,(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great, helpful article Joanna. My young adult daughter is in a relationship with a guy who I believe is a covert narcissist, or sometimes goes back and forth. I am highly sensitive and empathic, and so is my daughter, though we have several differences as well.
    I think he is covert because he DOESN'T talk all the time, but often is quiet and acts very childlike or depressed if things aren't going his way or he fears they won't.
    The reason I know so much about his devious ways is because he used me to get to my daughter. And a few years ago he set her up for a discard that really hurt her. So then he had to play very nice and very carefully to get her back in his life. He used spiritual and emotional manipulation. He took and took from us, as my husband and I tried to help him get back on his feet after a series of bad decisions on his part. As soon as he was able to get her away from us, he no longer needed us and has treated my husband and I with incredible contempt and disrespect. My daughter cannot see it. I have witnessed a few unbelievable Jekyll and hyde moments with him. One time I made a comment about how good my son was at video games. He flew into a rage and tore my son's talent and reputation apart. Another time he was on the phone with his mom and completely flipped, going from trying to sound normal to treating her like garbage. There are other examples, but the long and the short of it is that now we are all suffering as a family because of my foolishness. I believed him and was taken in, even to the point of defending him to others.
    Thank you for your work in shedding lght on these issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joanna, your youtube videos and the above article are some of the best resources I've found on the subject. I've immersed myself in an attempt to understand what really happened. He's out of my life now, leaving me feeling embarrassed, numb, scared. I kept trying to believe in him, in spite of all the red flags. Sometimes he was so beautiful, so present and seemingly conscious, and so avowedly in love with me. Actually, he expected me to take care of him financially, while being very demanding of my time and attention. We fought often, while I tried to hold boundaries and he complained that I was lacking in empathy or heart.
    What saddens me deeply now is not losing him, which is a relief, but the fact that I am now 77 years old and unlikely to attract another love in my life. I could benefit from some good coaching right now and wonder if you are available for that. Thank you for your kind attention.

    ReplyDelete