Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Next Big Thing In The Diet Industry



Are you tired of reading about yet another sensational diet? Another new scientific discovery of some miracle ingredient that will transform your body into that of a supermodel? What will the next big thing in the diet industry be? With statistics of obesity going up all the time, its becoming evident that the diet industry is struggling to fulfill their promises.

After studying and practicing holistic nutrition for many years, I've got to honestly say I too am tired of learning bout yet another new wondrous nutrient solution to peoples overweight problems.

I observed how much suffering people endured for being obese and overweight. Their emotional state oscillated between a sense of worthlessness, failure and then hopefulness and optimism because they saw another ad on tv informing them that finally a solution had been found.

Lets face it, we are holistic beings. We consist of more than just physical matter that's shaped by our body. There are so many unaddressed possible contributions to being overweight, the list really is endless. How can anyone judge anyone else is beyond me.

Does it really stem from consuming excessive calories? Not enough exercise? Maybe. Can it be the synthetic preservatives, additives or the generically modified ingredients in the food? Or maybe its being too acidic? Not being on the right blood type diet? Eating meat, or not? Is it allergies? Perhaps it really is poor digestion, assimilation and elimination? Is it due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency? How bout stress? Maybe the right diet has eluded them all their lives?? There are so many variables!

I believe the answer lies in how honest and self responsible people want to be.

Too many people want to find the right 'diet', pill, or shake that will get them back into a socially and visually acceptable equilibrium.



But is that putting our lives in the hands of a profiteering diet and fitness industry? How much truth are they actually disclosing, how much of that truth is clever marketing to create another customer for their product?

Even as a practitioner I found it saddening how little people actually knew about their bodies and how it functioned.

I looked back on when I was 18 and questioned what I actually knew at that time. It was only what I read in magazines. The first diet book that I read was Fit For Life, which in retrospect was really detrimental to my health at the time!

Society values people knowing about the latest fad, celebrity fashion installment but rarely do we commit to learning about our own body. And our ignorance comes at a cost. That cost is us looking for answers outside of ourselves, depending on the knowledge of the latest best selling diet book we read, or the skill of the practitioner we may be seeing regarding our weight issues.

In all honesty, yes most of us are complicated creatures and can have a myriad of reasons we may be overweight. Yes of course it could be too much processed food, a mineral deficiency, eating gluten when we have an intolerance or other factors.

But I predict the next big thing in the diet industry is masses of people waking up because they have had enough of being strung along by false promises, covert deception and distortion of facts.

The majority of the industry is based on the customers total unwavering faith in what they are selling. Why do some diets work for some and not others? Why do some people maintain their weight loss, but the majority don't?

How bout we change our perspective and start taking back our power? I now look back on all the diets and products I have ever tried, studied, and recommended, as an education about my own body.

It's easier for me to feel empowered when I don't feel like I'm a failure or believe that a particular product didn't work for me. Now I'm choosing not to torture myself mentally, be kinder to myself and see it as just something that wasn't right for MY body. It's ok my body didn't conform, or honestly, maybe I sabotaged my own efforts because of an underlying emotional reason.

By putting our total faith in only one way we disempower ourselves and enter a dysfunctional cycle. We are able to choose to feel that we received an education and objectivity regarding a future choice.



What really surprised me is how many people hesitate looking at the contributing psychological reasons. Tolerating current toxic relationships, low self worth, enduring bullying at work, past history of sexual abuse or trauma are all significant factors that can lie behind a weight issue.

Its easier to delude, distract and sabotage yourself with endless unsuccessful diets because you are not willing, or not ready, to face the real truth. It takes a compassionate person to bring it to anothers attention, and it takes self compassion to face those suppressed matters.

I'm being brutally forthright because I was one of those people. I wasn't even consciously aware of the psychosomatic reasons. I too was endlessly chasing a miracle diet, exercising til I dropped, and starving myself to look more socially acceptable.

But no matter how many kilos I lost I was still never happy. Everyone skinny, appeared to be so much happier than I ever was. The most painful predicament I realized I was carrying around, was the constant self inflicted sense of guilt, shame, isolation, and not belonging.

Everything starts to change when we start to change on the inside. I think the diet industry has manipulated innocent people in believing that its the other way around. They sell the concept that "you can only feel good, once you reach this weight".

What if our weight loss depends on us feeling good about ourselves to begin with? What if we were so much more successful if we took actions from a place of self acceptance and self love?

The next big thing in the diet industry is empowering people with self awareness. Recognizing that we are not just a body. Our past history, our current emotional state, our sense of inner self worth all contribute more significantly than any calorie counting.

The judgement people with weight issues endure every single day is not conducive to their success. All the great intentions or the motivation their trainer attempts to instill in them, is only temporary.



The way we label people stigmatizes them as well. If we chose to see ourselves, or the next overweight person thru the eyes of love and acceptance, instead of condemnation, I believe we could affect significant change.

Once we learn to love ourselves, we will gain the inspiration to make positive life changes. We will feel truly deserving of good health and balance. Setting a loving intention toward ourselves is a powerful tool. We will no longer be doing anything from a space of deprivation, restriction, comparison, judgement, or enforced motivation.

Sometimes kindness, compassion can be the biggest keys to unlocking self discipline in an individual, and not a stringent discipline inflicted by a superficial diet industry. The diet industry is dependent on overweight people being ashamed, insecure, in fear, and misinformed.

Let's clarify and start appreciating this fact...



We are now living in an exciting time in history. We see more people taking substantial steps toward self responsibility, who are no longer willing to play the victim game. People are researching, asking questions and comparing answers.

The victim game gets boring for a practitioner as well. After years of practice it becomes evident who really wants help, and who is just happy for a temporary band aid treatment. Some people really do need loving guidance and help, others just need abrupt honesty.

The next big thing emerging in the diet industry are the amazing professional trainers, practitioners who encompass a more holistic view, who encourage self awareness. They are humble enough to admit that they may not have all the answers, that there is no one way because we are all unique individuals. They tend to attract people that are willing to honestly look at their whole picture, what they bring, what they are willing to face and let go of.

What has your journey with weight issues been like? What are you aware of now, that you wish you were earlier? What has served you the most? I know I am still discovering things about myself every week that I wasn't aware of previously!

If this information resonated with you and you can relate to my journey, please subscribe and don't forget to "like" on Facebook

www.journeythruwellness.com


No comments:

Post a Comment