Thursday, April 16, 2015

My Love Hate Relationship With Religion



Is there a difference between spirituality and religion? Can both co-exist? I believe that the heart can always see what the mind and eyes cannot. It will always steer us in the direction we need to be. I have had a love hate relationship with religion for most of my life. This is my story...

I grew up in a controlling religion. There's no other way I can distort that fact, to myself any longer. When I was a child I lived by the choices the religion set out. I'm sure my parents thought they were doing the right thing, and I can see many benefits of the foundation a religious upbringing has brought me.

A strong sense of conscience, a sense of responsibility to do the 'right' things, understanding of morality, the comfort of fitting in with like minded others, and a strongly ingrained impression of who God was.

As I grew up tho, I had questions, lots of them! I wondered about whether there were other 'good' people that weren't part of my religion.

I quickly learned that curiosity and questions were a sign of doubt, that perhaps the devil had implanted in my mind. My internal life was a constant and unrelenting state of guilt and fake politeness. I didn't want to be different because conformity was favored.

Individuality was not encouraged but was considered a serious concern because one could be 'straying from the flock'. Being a 'sheep' was important.

The older I got, the more restricted I felt. All books, magazines, TV, radio, everything was approved or disapproved of by the church. My every single day revolved around preparing for church, going to church, studying religious books either personally, with a group, or with the family. Of course, then there was the door to door preaching.

It never ended, ever. Every conversation, thought, belief, activity, dream or hope was dominated by my ingrained expectations of who I was told God accepted. I was not encouraged to make friends outside the church so I had no sense of any other reality. I was afraid of the world 'out there'.

My religion taught me that a relationship with God was strictly conditional, based on only their interpretation. I was not deserving of his love unless things were only done one way.



The hypocrisy I witnessed absolutely astounded me. Problems were just swept under the carpet, hushed away. I wondered who actually had the professional skills to manage marital disputes, physical or sexual abuse, bullying at school, or other legitimate issues that people generally face in the 'real world'. The maintenance of the illusion of perfect families was to be maintained at all costs.

The sense of isolation was crushing. I found it difficult to have friends even within the church because I knew I wasn't being honest, I was living a lie. I hated the person that the religion only allowed me to be. The suppression and rejection of my true Self lead to a physical manifestation of debilitating illness.

After I turned 21 I finally had the courage to listen to my own heart and leave. It is then that I lost everyone and everything that was my whole life as I'd known it. The abandonment and greif was difficult to live through. I had been people pleasing for so long that I had no sense of Self or who I was.

All I knew is that I felt a massive sense of relief. Like a heavy soul crushing weight had been lifted.
But if my debilitating sense of rejection and loneliness was the price of freedom, I was willing to accept that.

In my mind I had already endured hell. Any false promise of the religions version of 'heaven' with those deluded others, was of no comfort to me.

That's when my healing began. The years of guilt and shame that I believed I imposed on my family was overbearing. The sense of God not loving me, that I made a mistake, and that I was going to be punished was unrelenting. The heartbreak of realizing that the people I grew up with were no longer there, that it was all an illusion, was devastating.

What was most desolating to me was the manipulation I allowed. The shaming, guilt and ever present fear that I endured for decades. All cloaked in falseness, pretense, and a polite conformity.

The sadness and feeling of not being good enough, was something I have unknowingly battled with all my life. It took me years to figure out that the shaming was a powerful control tactic that's used frequently.



This experience made me hate religion. All I could see was what my filter allowed, which was my version of deceptive and sad events.

I'm now recovering my individuality, voice and ability to speak MY truth. I'm rebuilding my self esteem and confidence. I have come so far to know, with every fiber of my being, that I'm now closer to God than I ever was.

This experience has sped up my spiritual evolution and I'm thankful for that. I was never seperated from God. S/he never left me but was always in my heart, whispering lovingly thru my intution.

I have humbly observed that others may not have had such a devastating experience with religion. In fact, I have seen people whose choice of religion has encouraged them to become the best they can be.

The difference between these two experiences however, is that they had a choice, it wasn't imposed on them. Apparently God gave us free will? So why the judgment, guilt, fear and manipulation? This approach seems like slavery.


Looking back on that traumatic life long experience, I don't actually hate religion. I'm just intolerable to coercion, imposition, and denigration of choice. I recognize that judgment, comparison, and withholding of approval of anothers spiritual preference is not conducive of well being.

Opening my awareness of other religions has been very enlightening also. I pleasantly discovered teachings in Buddhism that have made a remarkable difference in the quality of my inner life. I'm now even re considering Bible scriptures in a completely different light that have enriched me exceedingly. There are more than one way up the mountain and I'm taking whats good for me, and leaving the rest behind.

Everybody has a right to believe what they choose is right for them. Anyone elses pompous  judgement is a reflection of their own shortsightedness. Yes, there is a big difference between spirituality and religion. Some people do find it in religion, however, many others don't.

I know now my own personal God that can't ever be taken away from me. My God is not found in a church, or only within a group of 'special' people. I AM an expression of God.

No matter what other peoples limited perception is, we are all facets of brilliance and we were all created perfectly. There are no mistakes. There is no one better than anyone else, we are all precious and individual expressions of Love. This belief serves me now.



It's been quite cathartic and healing to be able to express this through my writing. It verifies my reality and serves as a reminder that freedom is my ultimate goal.

I'm choosing to forgive myself for not having the courage, and not knowing back then, what I know now. I trust myself to make the 'right' decision because I listen to the guidance of my heart, and that can never be wrong. I have discovered an inner strength I never knew I had, that no one can take away.

Maybe that doesn't make me a good candidate for a religion, or maybe it means I still have alot of concepts to let go of. One things for sure though, I can no longer be shamed or silenced about expressing my personal truth. Perhaps in a previous lifetime I would've been burned at the stake for what I just expressed, not this time round tho.

If this information resonated with you then please feel free to subscribe..

www.journeythruwellness.com


3 comments:

  1. This is my testimony about the good work of a man who helped me..My name is NINA GEORGE. and I base in London.My life is back!!! After 8 years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end,and was falling apart. Thanks to a spell caster called papa Justus who i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for a good spell caster that can solve my problems. I came across series of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. There was one particular testimony I saw, it was about a woman called grace,she testified about how papa Justus brought back her Ex lover in less than 72 hours and at the end of her testimony she drop papa Justus e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give papa a try.
    I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. papa Justus is really a talented and gifted man and i will not to stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man...If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve that problem for you. Try the great papa Justus today, he might be the answer to your problem. Here's his contact: drabeljustus@gmail.com
    Thank you great Justus. Contact him for the following:

    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    (6)[You want to be rich.
    (7)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8)If you need financial assistance.
    (9)Herbal care
    10)Help bringing people out of prison
    (11)Marriage Spells
    (12)Miracle Spells
    (13)Beauty Spells
    (14)PROPHECY CHARM
    (15)Attraction Spells
    (16)Evil Eye Spells
    (17)Kissing Spell
    (18)Remove Sickness Spells
    (19)ELECTION WINNING SPELLS
    (20)SUCCESS IN EXAMS SPELLS
    (21) Charm to get who to love you.
    (22)Business spell.
    (23) Find your long lost family.
    Contact him today on:
    drabeljustus@gmail.com,
    +2347033354868.
    You can also CONTACT HIM ON whats-app on the same phone number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to use this great opportunity to Testify how the Great prophet saved my marriage, I'm from California. I want to use this opportunity to thank the great DR FARA the Great who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great man DR FARA brought my husband back to me after 6years of breakup in our marriage, and i already had 3 lovely kids for my husband, before he left me for another lady, because she charmed him In 2007 some years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel and some misunderstandings, life was so miserable for me, until he finally left me for the other lady. For 2years i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met an old friend of mine that was also in a situation like this but hers was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her.she told me that MINE was a small case and that i shouldn't worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solutions to my problems and she gave me this great mans phone number and his contact email address drfaraspelltemple@gmail.com i was doubting if this man was the solution, so contacted this great man and he told me what to do and I did them all, he told me to wait for just two day and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure immediately after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him begging on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy family thats why I want to say a big thank you to DR FARA the Great doctor This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem.
    (1) He will help you to Have promotion in
    anything you do.
    (2 )Earn a good money.
    (3)Success in business.
    (4)spiritual problems.
    (5) win court case.
    (6)Looking for a good man.
    (7)looking for job.
    (8)want to be in control of you marriage.
    (9)want to be attracted to people.
    (10)you have be scammed and u need your money
    back.
    (11)you have be working without promotion.
    (12)If you have any symptoms of sickness that is un cured
    (13)You have pregnancy problems with babies:
    (14)If you have problem about your womb,you
    want have or bear children.
    (If you have brain tumour, or mental problem, this is the time for you to contact him). You can Email
    or any problem that is similar, i will advise
    you to come straight to this great man.
    you can email drfaraspelltemple@gmail.com or call him with this number

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Herpes Simplex Virus by this by Dr voodoo and she also gave the email address of this man and advise anyone to contact him for any kind of problem that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr voodoo telling him about my (Herpes Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Though i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr voodoo assured me, after some time i went to my doctor for test and it confirmed that i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends if anyone have such problem and need help contact Dr voodoo on his email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete